TESL 170 - Integrated Lesson Plan


Integrated Skills 
1.5 hour
Intermediate 2A
Students:   15 


Today was my first day of teaching. The classroom assigned to me was an Advanced 2A in the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). This is an integrated class, and they meet every morning from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. In agreement with the teacher, I decided to do only half of the lesson to start my teaching hours. The students' topic for this week is Canadian Words. They normally begin the class with the word and phrasal verb of the day.
My lesson was covering the word toque for the word of the day, and the phrasal verbs go back and come back. I think I prepared myself well enough for this lesson, but I was feeling very nervous that I even forgot to follow my written lesson plan. My writing on the whiteboard was terrible. I didn't have a sense of space on how to organize the information for the students so they could have a better understanding.
Another thing that I was not aware of is how important it is the of use different colour markers when writing on the whiteboard. The students like that, and they asked me to do it for them. I found this to be valuable for me to know in the future. I cannot believe how many things were going in my mind when I was teaching during this short length of time. I kept looking at my written lesson so I wouldn't mess up on the transition from one activity to the other. My number one goal for this lesson was to deliver it clearly and concisely.
In my opinion, it was a great start. I received compliments from the sponsor teacher as well as some areas that I need to develop more like watching the time I spend in explaining things and keeping the context to a minimum and not explaining one word and all the different meanings that it might have.
One last thing I would like to mention and comment on is the way these students interact with each other in this class. This is because they are together since they began their program. As for the classes in the afternoons, which are the classes I'll be teaching, the students are different all the time. The groups very as the school is consistently doing new intakes for these classes. That will be something different for me, but I am looking forward to it.

Please click  HERE for the lesson plan. 


I'm also adding some of the feedback given by my sponsor teacher on this lesson.

Hi Jenny,

Good job at your first lesson at Heartland! You were a warm and energetic teacher. Students felt comfortable with you. 

Attached is the U of M observation form for this class, and below is some feedback for you to consider as you prepare for future lessons.

Done well:
  • You made a detailed lesson plan
  • You greeted the class warmly
  • You spoke slowly and clearly at an appropriate volume
  • You were friendly and engaging. Students felt comfortable asking questions and offering ideas
  • Good examples given for the target vocabulary
  • You asked students many questions
Do you know what a toque is?
What else?
Do you know what ___ means?
What do you think ___ means?
Do you have any questions?
Do you have any other questions?
  • You asked students about their lives and countries
  • Choosing random partners from the name box was effective
  • You gave appropriate effort to answer students’ questions and clarify their doubts
Areas to grow:
  • You devoted a bit too much time to the idiom and phrasal verb teaching
  • Work on organizing your white board
  • As requested by the students, use more colours on the board
  • There were too many meanings of the phrasal verbs. Most words have multiple meanings, but it’s better to limit the target meanings to one or two when teaching
  • Remember to put the definition on the board
  • Make sure to give enough context in your example sentences
  • If you put the meaning and examples on the board before you explain, students won’t ask as many questions and will understand faster
  • Teach both the idiom and the phrasal verb before asking students to write their sentences
  • When you give instructions, both say them and write them
  • Try to correct their sentences more quickly
  • Always strive to have a balance of teacher talk time and student-focused time
It was a very good start!   

No comments:

Post a Comment