Corrective Feedback on Segmental Sounds


Women's Conversation Circle

I am currently running a conversation circle with Syrian women only, and I have noticed that all the participants have difficulties with aspiring the letter "P." Every time they intend to say "P," they say "B." Apparently, the "P" sound does not exist in their language, and that's the reason for such difficulty.  
To help them improve this sound, I have created the following warm-up activity.

At the beginning of the session, I show all the participants two flashcards. One with the letter "P" and the other one with the letter "B." I ask the participants to put the palm of their hand in front of their mouths. First,  I model and make the sound "B" which it is the sound that they are most familiar with. We all practice and I point out that the air released is soft. Then, I model and make the sound "P." I ask the class to feel and release the puff of air which it should be stronger than "B." 
Another great way to do this activity is by using mirrors. Each participant will put a mirror close to their mouth and say the"B" sound and the "P" sound. As soon as they start making these two sounds, they'll realize that while making the "P" sound,  a puff of air will bounce back from the mirror onto their faces.

After practicing the "B" and "P" sounds, I ask the participants to read the following script.

Please, pass the pepper.

Paula plays ping pong.

Put the paper in the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment